Tuesday 22 March 2016

Holly Seymour - Hummingbirds

For the Research Methodology I decided to look at Hummingbirds, within my work I wanted to depict it in a way to portray the animal in its naturally beautiful and intricate way. I used the quote from Shakespeare's play The Twelfth Night, Chapter 4 (Mistress Mary) "And, like a hummingbird, she flutters, a sparkling fleck, sportive and seemingly insouciant"


I experimented with printing as a technique for the project, Overall I made around 7 different lino and woodcut designs of Hummingbird also including a large square lino with a series of birds hovering together.


 As another experiment, I looked at mark making and creating pattern within the birds feathers and body.
For my sparkling fleck element in my project, I hand beaded this humming bird on a embroidery hoop, This is to reflect the iridescent look most hummingbirds have and wanted to capture that with this method.

No comments:

Post a Comment