Wednesday 23 March 2016

Emilia Royal: Blue Whale

In this unit is decided to research and visually investigate the Blue Whale. I based my findings on the mammals skull structure and baleen plates. With a lot of experimentation with different media and techniques I decided on a clay like substance to create my final piece showing the depth of my research in a sculpture. In this blog I would like to share some of my works.


Wire Whale
This is an experiment I did where I created a basice silhouette of a Blue Whale made completely out of one flowing piece of wire. For this I used a reasonably thin piece of wire and bent it into shape using tools so that the outline is smoother and the corners are as sharp as I need them to be. I included the main features in the silhouette such as the tail and the largest based body.




Tin Can Whale
I created this tin beer can Whale when we had a very eye opening visit from 'My Dog Sighs'. I searched the streets of Portsmouth to find a squished or battered up piece of litter, I found this slightly crushed beer can and brought it back to the studio. After looking at the can and thinking of how I can transform it ino a Whale, then the idea came to mensure to make the large flat end it's mouth with all the balien plates showing as if it has its mouth wide open. I created it by painting with acrylic pains on top of the can.



Lino Print Blue Whale
To create this lino print it took a lot of thought as to which technique I need to use in which to have the whale be manly ink. I used the technique where I scrapped away all of the water areas and the details so that the only parts that got inked up was the whales skin and the sky. I wanted the water to look like it was moving around the Whale so it didn't look motionless and I did that by leaving in some areas of lino that could pick up ink, it turned out exactly how I wanted it to.


Clay Skull
This is my final piece that I created to represent my findings, it is a clay like material that has been shaped into a Blue Whale skull and then I added paper strips to create the baleen plates. I decided to do this as it is something most people are unaware of how it really looks, so I decided to show them the deep down look of a Whale skull and how the baleen plates look attached to it without the rest of the whales featureskin there to distracted you. This turned out exactly how I wanted it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment